The Little Dream Cottage
My wife Angelika and I met on the train while she was working as an au pair for a family in Denver. We were married in Seattle within a year and rented a lovely apartment with a view of the waterfront and Space Needle. When we traveled to Germany to visit her family we flew in and out of Amsterdam. We both found the city so charming that we decided to move there. We got green cards, hotel jobs and, miraculously, found an apartment with a terrace on a canal. Both of us being artists, Amsterdam provided us with the best of art history, museums, and an open-minded international community of artists. Then, after about five years, one cold winter day at the hotel we looked at each other and admitted that we both missed Seattle. We packed up our paint brushes and reluctantly bid Amsterdam “tot ziens”.
Back in Seattle the house prices had risen so high that we were almost resigned to forever renting. Out for a walk one Sunday morning, we stopped for a coffee and ran into a friend who told us about a little cottage for sale nearby. We found the street and at the very end of it we saw the for-sale sign in a yard with a huge weeping willow tree. The house was small, (500 Sq Ft ) but that was some of the charm...and the yard was a beautiful garden of flowers and grasses. It also had an original river rock fireplace. The price was within our reach and we signed the papers the following morning without even looking inside. We got the house!
This storybook house needed an appropriate entrance and I looked online for a decorative iron gate. That’s where I found Architectural Iron Designs, Inc. At first I thought that maybe my little house might not be a large enough project for the company to be interested in but the friendly voice on the line treated me as courteously as if I were a major real estate developer. I was sent a catalog and before long, we were entering and departing the most beautiful and sturdy iron gate in town.
A little time went by and it was time to replace the wooden stairs and railings to the front door. Why not build a deck for a porch and match the railings with the gate? I called on Architectural Iron Designs, Inc. The project was completed in two phases, first the stair railings and then the deck railings. The measurements were perfect and even if I had a castle there could be no better or beautiful deck and railings! Next came the picture windows and we now enjoy the beauty of the wrought iron whether inside or out!
The juxtaposition of different architectural styles might be called surreal serendipity; it works. A mixture of Hans Christian Andersen and Downton Abbey!
I once had a corner apartment over the Napoleon House in the French Quarter in New Orleans with iron railings on both Chartres and St Louis Streets.
The iron balconies of my favorite hotels in Amsterdam, Paris and Prague remain in my memory as the essence of architectural Europe.
I’ve captured them all in Seattle.
Let it rain!
- James Burns
- Architectural Iron Designs, Inc. Edition 8The Edition 8 catalog contains a comprehensive collection of products from all over the world. From France’s lavish Grande Forge Luxury Railing collection to all the standard items needed for everyday railing projects, there is a solution for every need.
- Carbone Series BrochureExperience the beauty of a railing system that incorporates carbon fiber. The Carbone Series will offer a unique and modern appearance to any home or business with it's selection of handrail, posts and balusters. Easily malleable and suitable for different applications, carbon fiber has become a noble material. Used in the most advanced sectors, such as aeronautics, automotive or sport, carbon fiber has quickly become the unavoidable material of future applications.
- Grande Forge Catalog No. 39Click the PDF Icon to download the newest catalog from Grande Forge. Within this catalog you will see an exclusive collection of railing posts and balusters that blend the most precious materials in the world of artistic forgings - Gold, Crystal, Brass and Cast Iron. The result, like jewelry is a unique piece of art. The railing’s design will impact the atmosphere and feeling of the room like nothing else.
- Grande Forge Design AlbumBe inspired while looking through this 180 page full color design album. The Grande Forge luxury railing collection, which uses precious metals, brass and crystals is on full display showing various railing and staircase applications. Driveway and pedestrian gates, as well as balconies, stair railings and fences are also shown. Please download today.
- Deflection Test Documentation for Wagner PanelGrip2 SystemReport shows findings in the testing of R&B Wagner's PanelGrip2 Glass Railing System. Tested the GR2457 base shoe guardrail system, specifically the amount of deflection that would occur in 1/2" (thick) (9/16") tempered SGP laminated glass. Download the PDF to read more.
Sculpt Nouveau Chemical Finishes
Sculpt Nouveau Chemical Finishes-MSDS Sheets
- Birchwood Technologies A-14 PatinaBirchwood Technologies A-14 Patina
- Birchwood Technologies M-24 PatinaBirchwood Technologies M-24 Patina
- Birchwood Technologies M-38 PatinaBirchwood Technologies M-38 Patina
- Birchwood Technologies PC-9 PatinaBirchwood Technologies PC-9 Patina
- Clear Guard Ready to SprayClear Guard Ready to Spray
- Clear Guard RegularClear Guard Regular
- Ever ClearEver Clear
- Ever Clear ActivatorEver Clear Activator
- Ever Clear SprayEver Clear Spray
- Metal Cleaner & DegreaserMetal Cleaner & Degreaser
- Metal OilMetal Oil
- Metal WaxMetal Wax
- Patina Stains_CanPatina Stains all Colors
- Patina Stains_SprayPatina Stains all Colors
- Smart CoatSmart Coat
- Smart StainsSmart Stains
- Solvent ThinnerSolvent Thinner
- Traditional Black Magic PatinaTraditional Black Magic Patina
- Traditional Darkening PatinaTraditional Darkening Patina
- Traditional Japanese Brown PatinaTraditional Japanese Brown Patina
- Traditional Slate Black PatinaTraditional Slate Black Patina
- Traditional Stainless Black PatinaTraditional Stainless Black Patina
- Traditional Tiffany Green PatinaTraditional Tiffany Green Patina
Stainless Steel Railing Systems
Ultra-tec Cable Railing Infill
- Ultra-Tec Cable Railing Infill Complete CatalogThis catalog is a resource for all architectural railing products that Ultra-tec provides.
- Ultra-tec Cable Railing Infill for Metal Posts brochureUltra-Tec, the ultimate cable railing infill, offers concealed hardware which allows for unobstructive views and easy installation. Ultra-Tec is available in pre-cut cable lengths or spools of cable for larger jobs.
- Ultra-tec Installation GuideComplete installation guide provided by Ultra-tec to ensure your cable railing is installed properly.
Vinylast Paint-MSDS Sheets
- Copper Patina MSDS SheetCopper Patina, item 112/7
- Gold Patina MSDS SheetGold Patina, item 112/6
- Grey Primer MSDS SheetGrey Zinc Phosphate Primer
- Industrial Thinner MSDS SheetIndustrial Thinner (Xylene)
- Red Oxide Primer MSDS SheetRed Oxide Zinc Phosphate Primer
- Staygold Paint MSDS SheetStaygold Paint, item 113/30
- Vinylast Paint MSDS Sheet for ALL Paint ColorsAll Vinylast Paint colors from the RAL/BS standards are tinted from a clear Vinylast product.
- Automated GatesAutomated gates are a new world, and one that is necessary to understand before walking into. Learn about the legal standards, the effect of long term use and the ever changing attributes of gate automation. A must read for those new to the industry, and a great refresher for veterans.
- Beautiful FinishesIf you are looking to try a new color, new technique or style for your patina’s, this is a must read. Learn about new ways to easily achieve the colors customers want, and to change them on site. As well as learning how to use all the colors available to you.
- Clearing the Confusion Over Wrought ironWhat is “Wrought Iron” exactly? This articles displays the fascinating history of its use and demise, as well as the insights of its modern day expectations. It expertly explains this using three different definitions, in a way, so you can fully understand what “Wrought Iron” really is to further your business needs.
- Combat Corrosion by DesignTake an educational journey through the history and science behind corrosion. Learn how it really works, and how to best avoid it. These corrosion experts will dig deep into the science behind it, and will help you avoid problems in the future.
- Dreamshop Problems in your shopIf you ever have questioned your flow problem in your shop, or were planning to just start over, this is a must read. Learn how to best use minimal space, avoid power shortages from misplaced breakers, and actually look at shop layouts. Make your shop the best it can be!
- Harmonic ProportionFor some, staring at a blank page with no idea where to begin a design is the hardest challenge of a new project. Luckily, for those more inclined to numbers rather than art, math is here to help. In this article, take a mathematical lesson in Architecture, to make those designs pop off the page and into real life.
- Joint Finish GuidelinesLearn about voluntary guidelines set up by NOMMA in regards to joint finishes. See for yourself with useful pictures. Contact NOMMA with all your questions and concerns.
- Roll BendingHelpful Instructions accompanied by pictures to help your roll bending. With two easy steps, this article shows how easy roll bending can be.
- Specification ResourcesIf you are looking for specifications or information, this article is a not only a must read, but something to download and keep. Many of the books you could ever need are listed here, so you will never need to go searching for information again.
- The Sticky Business of PaintWhen it comes to painting, there is a lot of technical aspects of solvents, drying time, and what chemicals mix with what. This can get complicated, but after reading “The Sticky Business of Paint” things may seem a bit less complicated. This article will help you with paint systems, overall happiness of customers, and will help you be more cost effective in your business in the long run.
- Think "Metal work" On Your Next ProjectA helpful guide for those not familiar with the industry of metalwork. A great read for a Homeowner starting a project to learn about options available in ironwork, and to have an understanding of what you are looking for before contacting a fabricator! Make your next project a “Metalwork” project!
- Troubleshooting Paint ProblemsPaint Problems? Not completely sure what’s wrong or how to solve the problem? This is a helpful guide to understanding what went wrong, and then how to solve the different probable causes. A guide that takes away research time, and replaces it with simple easy answers.
- Welding AluminumWelding Aluminum can be a little more technical than welding steel and can be more expensive, but it’s a trade that can make you more in the long run. Learn the basics of welding aluminum, both the easy and the hard, and decide if you should take that step towards learning hands on how to weld aluminum.